Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

a new way to cook beef

A few months ago, someone asked us if we would like to "go in on a cow" together. I know, I know, sounds little country, but we decided that it would be a great opportunity to buy in bulk to save a little money, avoid buying the gross spaghetti-like ground hamburger from the grocery store, and get a wide variety of different cuts of meat. And after my husband watched 'Food Inc.'... he was very excited to get some organic, non-antibiotic good old fashioned cow.

We ended up buying 1/4 of the cow, and selling half of our share. So with 1/8 of a cow, our deep freeze is still very full. I am finding new recipes to use the meat in different meals so we don't end up with a bunch of meat we don't know what to do with next year.



Last night I decided to make an Asian Beef with Snow Pea stir-fry. Yum! I made it using a serloin tip (whatever that is) although the recipe called for a round steak, I had already set this out to thaw, and it was wonderful! I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com, my favorite recipe website! Find the recipe here.


And what is stir-fry with out a little rice. Instant is all I've ever used.. and that is what I used last night. However, I do have some 'non-instant' rice in my cupboard right now.. that could be interesting!


Here is the rice cooking on my very retro stove. Notice the controls up on the wall. That's is just one example of the little bit of character our home has. The only thing I don't like about my stove is the discoloration around all of the burners. This beauty used to be a aqua green color, but the previous owners had it painted the cream color. We found that out after the paint chipped up a little. The new paint must not be heat resistant.. because it has obviously darkened. I do love the retro controls and hood though!

The finished product was quite delicious! I love using my new wok I got for Christmas this year, and have found some really awesome recipes. This one was pretty darn good though. I have left-overs waiting for me in the fridge; I can't wait for lunch! mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment